September 22, 2008

Finally found my purpose in life

I've always wondered how I can contribute to my country. Back in my college days, I always have a bleeding heart for the poor. It was what my Theology professor reminds us always. And that also, when we graduate, we may find a job here or abroad but we should always think who we really are serving.

When I got here in Manila, I went to a protestant church. Although I am Catholic, my father taught me that it was good to go to other churches to observe and respect how
they pray. My experience in this certain church was incredible. We had an activity wherein I realized that once I wanted to really make a difference in my country. I also realized that I'm not the only one who has this endeavor. But if only it was that easy to make a difference.

It still didn't get me anywhere. I thought I could find ways in that community to execute my endeavors. Not until I bought my first business book. That book was so precious to me. Although I treasure a lot of my books but it was the most sentimental and meaningful for me. The book was "Why we want you to be rich." I learned a lot in that book about being rich and being part of the solution in the near future to fight poverty instead of being part of the problem.

I always hear my father say,"Don't give them fish. Teach them how to fish instead." My father was a teacher. He teaches Physics most recently but he did taught other subjects before. He was fanatic that laboratory experiments shows or are internalized more by students than just simple lecture. He would say,"Experience is the best teacher." Those lines really got to me since I was a child.

I always wanted to teach people how to fish, not just give them fish. I found out that there was more in LEARNING HOW TO TEACH people how to fish. I found out that financial literacy is the solution. I'm dedicated to enhance my financial literacy and share it to people who are financially challenged. I didn't want to end up a teacher just as my parents did. I wanted to be a business man. Well, I am going to be one but there is still a part of me that is just like my parents-a teacher.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I agree...we need to teach people how to fish.

I have had a blog for a long time and it was a great way to exchange ideas with other people. However, I realized that most of my readers have blogs, read kiyosaki and trump, etc. and they are the same people I meet at business and finance forums and cashflow meet ups. Where are the others?

I joined a group involved in financial education and had the opportunity to talk to OFWs, housewives, employees, business owners, managers, etc. and found that most Filipinos, regardless of their income are financially struggling and are not even aware of it. Those who are aware don't know how to start and too intimidated to ask the experts (who might charge them a fortune anyway).

Now I found my purpose too- educating people to be financially free...it's a lot of work for a few people but someday others (like you) might find it in their hearts to help us.

Ludwig said...

Well, yeah, sometimes I see it as a lot of work. Especially if no one clicks the ads.hehe..But i have decided that I would see it more like service to the public. If they don't want it, it's fine. If they bite it, much better. I just do this as a hobby and hope someone would be enlightened with it.

I actually realize it also that my readers are just like us who have a bit of financial education. And that is why I made a marketing plan.

And about ofws, housewives, and what? Including business owners are struggling financially? Hmmm..maybe they are owners who didn't study a lot. Or maybe stopped growing.

And for those who are struggling and are intimidated to ask the experts, I pity them. And I accept it as a fact that there are just people who are willing great opportunities in their lives.

Besides, it's great to have losers in the society anyway. Especially losers that are hard-headed. That is where winners gain profit.

And so, just like Robert and others would say, just enjoy the game. What matters is your happy, whether rich or poor.

Anonymous said...

When I said business owners and managers struggling financially I meant- a lot of people know how to make a lot of money but don't know how to make money work for them. They remain slaves of their jobs and businesses and only make active income...thus the struggle remains.

Ludwig said...

I would like to quote here the comment I received from a yahoo group member.

"Well renditioned, Ludwig!

The start of one's reaching one's financial goals is with an 'idea'. Focusing
on this idea, add faith and a great burning desire to prosper it; and
visualizing it every single day with a colorful mental picture of it...and a
story to wit.

Jesus simplistically said in the gospels, think and feel that you have it and
you will receive it.

I pray that you'll be an effective businessman as you endeavor as well to help
others fish. I think you will be a good steward.

Blessings!

Alrey"

I would like to thank everyone who posted comments and replies. You make my day!

God bless.