January 19, 2009

Importance of Connections

I saw it first hand how a friend of mine, a businessman, introduces a friend to another friend. When I was a child I always thought rich businessmen are snob. The instance I saw the phenomenon for real, I realized, it's part of their habit why they succeed.

Rich Dad mentioned that success is not much on what you know. It's who you know that is important. It may come across as using a person just to succeed but it's just like wanting a girl and you know her friend. And in my case, I want the guy - the businessman - to be my mentor.

That good friend of mine owns a coffee shop. When I entered the room, we shook hands and exchanged how are you's. He has guests from London and so we talked briefly and we go on with our own businesses. It was funny, the moment I got in, the first thing he noticed was I'm so busy. I hope I don't look older than the last time we met.

I heard him introduce his friends to another friend. Then occassionally he would ask me if I'm ok. I motioned that I am. It's just so cool to witness a concept in business for real! Until now, I couldn't believe I know this guy, someone so successful and I'm just an aspiring entrepreneur.

Back in Davao, when I was not yet into business, I knew the importance of connections. Whenever there was emergency, my father knows who to call to help us. My mother used to tell me that the acquaintances and the time my father spends to his friends are good investments. At first I thought it's some kind of using friends. Then I remember what I learned in college. Humans are social beings.

In business, a network is one factor to succeed. If nobody knows your product, how would you profit? What's great in building connections is that you will know a lot of different people and you will learn a lot from each other. In my experience, I got a very big supporting family. Thank you CA2020.

To know more about CA2020 business community Click Here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mr.ludwig,
i wish to attend your seminar here in cebu