August 23, 2012

CEO File #2: Speak Up

Thursday, July 26, 2012 at 7:52pm

Today, me and my team went to an animation congress at CCP. The topic was "Storytelling to Storyselling." It will run for 2 days and we just had finished day 1. It was exciting for me to attend the event. It's good that we are not too busy in production and we have more time to attend events and meet more people and be more exposed in the business.

Nothing against to artists but I think we got too much poverty in our original content. I have this comment since it was the 1st thing I saw in one of the galleries at the venue. This is not the culture I want to have that I want to pass on to the next generation of artists. But I guess I couldn't complain more at this since it's the culture that they have grown up with. I guess me and my team would be the ones to initiate the change we want to have.

At the event, we get to see one of the co-founders of Pixar, Ralph Guggenheim. It's really an honor to actually see someone when before you have just read about him. And so the discussion began.

The pressing issue not only in the animation industry but the whole Philippine entertainment industry today is how to market globally. The 1st day was suppose to talk about what would be the original content of the philippines if we are to market internationally. Just like japanese have anime, china have dynasty disputes and kung-fu, bollywood of india, what would be for the Philippines?

As the congress proceed, the discussion was leaning towards the details of how to really market instead of first talking what to sell. There was no problem with content. Filipinos have a lot of resources to tap when it comes to stories. But as what Robert Kiyosaki said in his book Rich Dad Poor Dad,"I'm not the best-writing author. Im a BEST-SELLING AUTHOR." His advise to one of the aspiring writers of novels in Singapore was to study sales marketing. The aspirant reacted violently that she wouldn't stoop down to sales people like him and she refused to take the advise.

In my observation, most artists don't have the inclination of how to market their stories properly. Worse, they don't have any idea what marketing is all about. Yes, it's important to speak your heart out to your story, but if you cannot sell them, you will only have your family as your market or worse just your loving and understanding mother. Well I guess it's not bad at all to start with your loving mother. At least you have you 1st track record.

I recently appreciate sales and marketing when I got interested in business. I look down at sales people before but now I look up and admire them the most. Selling for me is very important. Had not Churchill sold the idea of freedom for UK, Hitler must have overrun them. Had Jose Rizal and Andres Bonifacio hadn't sold the idea of our freedom, we wouldn't  have the Katipunan and other supporters that led us to our freedom. All the great leaders need to sell. For  me, selling is efficient communication. For better understanding, it's knowing how to communicate straight to the heart of people. The meaning of straight to the heart is that people get to readily understand the value to them of your idea. If your story,or better, your sales marketing message don't convey the value to them straight to their hearts, they will not buy it.

In one of the open-forums at the congress, there was a question to the panelist:"Have anyone of you really made an effort in marketing your film here in the philippines? Have you really tried testing here in our country before going out?" We all have many opinions at this but for me, I wouldn't start in the philippine market. There are a lot of attempts already and it didn't work. I believe also with another line from RK: Don't go where you are unwanted. If Filipinos don't like local content, well, I guess they are the wrong market for it. Other countries might want it. Besides, the US speakers at the congress said it themselves. They don't like US influence in movies that they watch. They want stories from other countries to know more of different cultures.

I also noticed stories in the Bible wherein prophets cannot persuade people in their own hometown. They need to start outside and go back to their hometown, before they get to be listened to there. Get the picture? US don't like US content. Philippines don't like Filipino content. I guess the Japanese is just really the exception here.
Ralph said of only talking to people who asks "Why not" instead of just "Why?" So, if I ask people, let's try to sell film in the US first before we sell it here, I would then only listen and collaborate with people who will ask:"Why not?" instead of the skeptics"Why? can't you see? we need to convince first our countrymen before you can sell it abroad. How in your logical mind ever conceptualize that if we don't like what we do, the international market will? If we keep on subscribing to this colonial mentality, we cannot move on. blah...blah.. blah..."I wouldn't stop you though if you want to try that approach and I pray that you would be successful. If I fail, well, at least you are right and you are already there and I would follow you then.
I guess being logical is not the way to approach this issue. They always say think out of the box. You want another evidence why my idea would work? One of the morning panelists said it himself. He posted a simple stick game in youtube and the MTV wants to buy it. He was skeptic if the deal was true since what he made was really, in his view, was a stupidly simple one that he created for only 3 days. And now he is running a company, partnered with a big foreign company, with 65 employees and growing.

In the afternoon open-forum, I just couldn't hold myself and I felt I needed to really speak up and say what I have to say. I gave that comment about that marketing first in the US before here in the Philippines, and I got criticized with pretty much similar comment with the above paragraph in front of the many audience. I said to myself that I should've just asked my question and not give any comments. I later learned from my teammate that a comment at the seats said something that I was too blunt to say that and that I was implying that we as filipinos are not good enough to sell stories. But my team said, they deserve to know it and hear it. Thank you team. I felt the same way, I love my country the Philippines, and I would rather hurt the people I love and learn from it.

At the end of the day, the world only listens to results. I may be wrong, you may be right or vice-versa. Or we can be both right or both wrong. I guess the key is unity. We may have different paths to take, but the same goal that we want to achieve. You might find the right way of your path, I wouldn't bother you. I certainly do commit to finding the right way through my path. That way, let's meet to the top and see you in the winners circle.
P.S. If you ask "Why not" to my question earlier. Do message me and I'd like to talk with you.

No comments: